Friday, December 16, 2005

game testers need cheaper TVs

thank goodness someone is starting to pay attention to an annoying trend. as the BBC reports, the new King Kong video game is terrible when viewed on a standard TV (note: I found this story through an entry on the news.com gaming blog). apparently, Ubisoft didn't test the game with an Xbox 360 and a standard TV.

the reason I'm happy to see this story getting some press is that I've found that some recent games have had similar issues even with HDTVs. I have an HDTV and when I bought Star Wars Battlefront 2, I was annoyed with how difficult it is to read the player stats - even the maps are terrible when compared with the first version of the game. I tried playing the game without the Xbox HD adaptor and the text became completely illegible.

I'm all in favour of games taking advantage of better displays, but if text is difficult to read on an HDTV then there's obviously a problem. the difference between Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 2 shows that game companies need to pay more attention to what they're doing. get those testers some cheap TVs!

No comments: