Sunday, May 25, 2008

SQL Server service won't start

this problem came up twice this week for two different reasons, so I thought I'd help anyone trying to Google the error message.

the first problem occured when I tried to install Business Contact Manager (BCM) for Outlook. when running the configuration wizard, I would get the error: "Unable to start service: MSSQL$MSSMLBIZ."

when I uninstalled Business Contact Manager for Outlook. it seems that removing the MSSMLBIZ database messed up SQL Server Express. when my machine started, I'd see the error: “SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct to correct this problem.” to solve this issue, I had to re-install SQL Server Express and this required configuring the service again.

to resolve these issues, I changed the SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) to run as a local account instead of a network account. to do this, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and find the service.


- click for full-size image

right-click the service, choose Properties and then switch to the Log On tab. once there simply change the "Log on as" option to a local administrator account. this allowed me to start the service, therefore allowing me to install BCM for Outlook and reinstall SQL Server Express.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

kudos to you sir. Thank you very much I was searching all over to try to find just a simple fix to this problem and yours did the trick!

Anonymous said...

kudos to you sir. Thank you very much I was searching all over to try to find just a simple fix to this problem and yours did the trick!

wolfeee said...

What I learned today: Same problems as everyone else w\ Outlook 2007 none of the above fixes worked. Since my boss is not using BCM I went to File\data file mgmt\ clicked on the BCM there and Remove. I also set BCM in services to manual. This stopped the SQL error and I didn't have to uninstall. Seems to have worked so far.